Camel

Camel
A very happy Camel

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Documents, Documents, Documents!

I leave for Kuwait in 18 days! It is hard to believe that the time has gone by so quickly. I am really excited for my adventure to begin however the excitement and preparation process has been hampered by the insanity inducing Visa process. For every step mentioned, one discovers 25 additional steps are needed. It is quite frustrating and thanks to the fantastic Facebook group started by my employer, I know I am not alone. In fact, my experience has not been nearly as crazy making as some of the other teachers have faced. The application process has not only cost me time but a good deal of money which thanks to crashing my car last year and receiving a decent settlement I can afford (I pat myself on the back for the genius demonstrated in totaling my vehicle right after paying it off). I will bore you with those details no longer but will at the end of this post provide a link to the greatest company that will help you from the start (I just found out about them yesterday from the Kuwaiti Embassy and wish I had known about them from the beginning).

For those of you who do not know, I am moving to Kuwait to teach 1st Grade (all boys) for the American Creative Academy. When I earned my bachelor's degree and multiple subject teaching credential four years ago, Kuwait was nowhere in my imaginings. I pictured myself working in a school in Southern California for a few years and then perhaps teaching abroad someplace that really needed my help...like say the south of France. After four years of dead end jobs and fruitless searches for a teaching job (I tried everywhere...seriously...I mean we're talking northern Alaska everywhere) I was not feeling very encouraged for a future in educaiton. Also, there are so many highly qualified teachers who are out of work in the job pool and every district can afford to be picky so new teachers stand little chance unless you know someone. My mother just retired after 25 years of teaching with Los Angeles Unified School District and while she knows a lot of people...many of the newer teachers have received pink slips and the district is not hiring. I couldn't even get a substitute teacher job and even though I graduated with honors and have outstanding references, I couldn't secure a position. *To new teachers out there: this is not to say that there are not opportunities. I have actually had a few friends who have been successful at landing teaching jobs but it is not easy and my experience has been really difficult. Until now.

Kuwait needs good teachers. Hurrah! The interview process was fun and easy. Hurrah! (Thank you Skype) The offers came flying in and are quite cozy. Comfortable salary, housing, and utilities all paid for along with annual round-trip tickets. Hurrah! I will have a teaching assistant in the classroom (which teachers will appreciate is a huge bonus) and the school offers professional development. Hurrah! This is all wonderful and I am incredibly grateful and can't wait to get started. Flip side--It is not easy (or cheap) to get all of the paperwork done and it requires time, money, and a positive attitude to get you through the inevitable glitches.

Now this weekend I am off to Napa for a trip to see my Dad and Stepmother before I leave and my Sister, Nephew, Mom and Stepfather will all be going with me! It is going to be wonderful having my family together for some fun and relaxation before I take off for 10 months. This adventure is going to be huge. Not only am I moving to a foreign country...but it is my first year teaching. Now say a prayer, cross your fingers, rub a belly or catch a four leaf clover...I have to wait for the Department of State to return my documents so I can get them authenticated by the Kuwaiti Embassy and it all has to be done before I get on the plane August 19th. Something tells me though that it will all get done and as the big guy upstairs has been guiding me through the whole time (including opening my eyes to the possiblities in the Middle East). Thy will be done!


Here is the link to the greatest company for helping you get your paperwork in order (trust me, they are more affordable than doing it yourself and/or going through another company) I really do wish I had known about them sooner. The key is that the moment you get that offer letter...contact them!

www.authxperts.com

They have links to all of the pertinent websites such as the Department of State, Department of Justice, Secretary of State for your state, Embassies, etc. Save yourself time, money, lack of sleep, and headaches by calling them right away!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sweetie, just joined your blog! Also read your entire post...so that I won't miss anything or get behind. This is great! Have a good trip to Napa.
    TTFN

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo excluding us "famous" people is wizard. Well played! Your blog looks awesome, and I love the window you're opening to us on this fascinating new world. You're my hero, Miche. hugs, hugs, hugs!
    --Su'z

    ReplyDelete